Areas of Expertise
Kate has a busy advocacy and advisory practice with a particular focus on chancery and commercial Law. She appears in the County Court, High Court and various Tribunals.
Kate has a broad experience across her specialist areas including acting in contentious probate disputes; trusts disputes; Inheritance Act claims; property and neighbour disputes and advising clients on company and partnership law. Kate has also represented parties in the Tax Tribunal
She is an affiliate member of the Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (STEP). She is also a qualified civil and commercial mediator.
In appropriate cases Kate accepts instructions directly from members of the public.
As a qualified civil and commercial mediator Kate accepts instructions to act as a mediator in a range of inheritance, estates, property and commercial cases.
Kate has a broad commercial law practice including contract disputes, misrepresentation and sale of goods. She approaches cases with thorough preparation and a practical outlook from initial advice through to trial. Kate’s recent company law instructions include partnership disputes, advising on articles of association, shares and representing appellants in the Tax Tribunal.
Kate has also dealt with a number of cases involving insolvency, debt recovery and mortgage enforcement.
· Advising on a misrepresentation case where a party was induced into entering into a commercial lease on a false premises
· Represented the Defendant in a claim under Section 15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
· Advising companies on issues relating to shareholding
· Urgent application for an injunction to enforce a restrictive covenant.
· Application for vesting order (Insolvency Act 1986) and successfully defending a claim for wrongful/unlawful determination of tenancy
· Representing parties in the Tax Tribunal
Kate accepts instructions in construction and planning law. She has given presentations for a number of local authorities in areas including: compulsory purchase orders; land assembly; sales at undervalue and state aid and community asset transfers. She has also had involvement in environmental prosecutions.
Kate has a strong employment law practice advising and acting for both Respondents and Claimants in cases concerning a range of issues including unfair and constructive dismissal as well as discrimination. She has also been instructed to hear dismissal appeals and grievances.
Kate represents Respondents in both the Jersey and Guernsey Employment Tribunals.
· Successfully represented the Respondent in a breach of contract claim where issues included contract terms, notice and bonus pay
· Conducted a disciplinary appeal in a case which included issues of unfair dismissal and discrimination
· Successfully represented the Respondent in a racial discrimination trial, where the Tribunal rejected all complaints made.
· Represented the Respondent in the Jersey and Guernsey Employment Tribunals on a number of occasions in cases including claims of unfair and constructive dismissal as well as discrimination.
Kate has a broad range of experience in cases concerning property and land. Some of her recent instructions include:
· Boundary Disputes;
· Landlord and Tenant;
· Implied and Constructive Trusts; and
· Rights of Way
Kate also has particular experience and interest in trusts, and real property. She acts in and advises on cases concerning easements and estoppel. She qualified to accept instructions to act as a mediator.
Kate is experienced in acting in and advising on a wide range of succession and trust disputes. She is also an affiliate member of STEP.
Some of Kate’s recent instructions include challenges on the grounds of capacity, validity and undue influence. She is also experienced in claims under the Inheritance Act, removal of executors and/or trustees and advising on resulting, implied and constructive trusts.
Kate also accepts instructions as a mediator in inheritance and trusts cases.